Please note: the Agenda can be downloaded below.
Thursday, 6th December 2018
Venue: Auditorium Maximum UJ, ul. Krupnicza 33a
8:30 - 9:15 - Registration
9:15 - 10:00 - Welcome address
10:00 - 11:30 - Panel I "Rafał Lemkin - Madrid Conference - achievements and legacy"
- Agnieszka Bieńczyk-Missala - "Rafał Lemkin’s Concept of Genocide vs. the Genocide Convention"
- Tamás Hoffmann - "The Crime of Genocide in its (Nearly) Infinite Domestic Variety"
- Danuta Kabat-Rudnicka / Brygida Kuźniak - "Norms Ius Cogens, Obligations Erga Omnes and Crimes of International Law. Some Terminological Remarks on the Crime of Genocide as a Case Study - Polish and International Perspective"
- Konstantin Kleine - "No Such Thing as an Apolitical Genocide – Legalism and the Prohibition of Genocide"
11:30 - 12:00 - Coffee break
12:00 - 13:30 - Panel II "ICTR and ICTY jurisprudence on genocide"
- Ruth Amir - "Probing the Boundaries of the Genocide Convention: Children as a Protected Group"
- Kamil Boczek - "Responsibility of Members of the Government and other Public POfficials Pursuant to Art. 4 of the Convention"
- Michala Chadimova - „Genocide and Superior Responsibility – Special Intent for Omission”
- Harout Ekmanian - "When the Stars Align - Justice for Syria Under International Law"
13:30 - 14:30 - Lunch break
14:30 - 16:00 - Panel III "Genocide, Hate Speech and Social Media"
- Agata Helena Skóra - "Atrocity Speech and Social Media in the Case of Yazidi - Challenges for Prosecuting the Crime of Incitement to Genocide"
- Piotr Łubiński - "Social media incitement to genocide – ISIS activity in the EU"
- Łukasz Dąbrowski - "Transnational Corporations' Responsibility for Genocide under International Law"
- Eszter Kirs - "The contribution of the European Court of Human Rights to the National Efforts to Prevent Hate Crimes Committed by Organized Extremist Groups"
16:00 - 16:30 - Coffee break
20:00 - Conference dinner
Friday, 7th December 2018
Venue: Aula Nowa, Uniwersytet Pedagogiczny im. KEN, ul. Ingardena 4
- Veronika Bilkova - "The Criminalization of the Denial of Holocaust and Other Forms of Genocide"
- Patryk Labuda - "Investigating International Crimes in a Decentralized System of International Criminal Justice"
- Nobuo Hayashi - "Contemporary Forms of Genocide"
- Aleksandra Gliszczyńska-Grabias - "Memory and Past on Trial: European Court of Human Rights on Genocide Denial"
10:00 - 11:30 - Parallel session: "Education for the prevention of the crime of genocide" - workshop
- Maciej Zabierowski, Auschwitz Jewish Centre
Katarzyna Pabis-Cisowska, Institute for Security Studies, Pedagogic University Kraków
11:30 - 12:00 - Coffee break - Room Przewiązka
12:00 - 13:30 - Panel II "New Developments - Cultural Genocide and Ethnic Cleansing" - Room 401 N
- Tamas Adany - "Ethnic Cleansing as a Dogmatically not Impossible Form of Genocide"
- Andrzej Jakubowski - "Reparations for Cultural Loss in International Criminal Law"
- Marco Odello - "Genocide and Culture: Revisiting their Relationship 70 Years after the Genocide Convention"
- Marcin Marcinko - "Pseudo-medical Experiments as a Form of Biological Genocide in the Trial of Rudolf Hess"
13:30 - 14:30 - Lunch break - Room 102-103
14:30 - 16:00 - "Angels of Sinjar" - meeting with ISIS genocide survivors - Room 401 N
- Joanna Bocheńska (JU Kurdish Studies Centre)
NOTICE: Please note, the translation from Kurdish will be into Polish only
16:00-16:30 - End of the Conference
18:00 - "About Crime, Memory and Law. Return to Lviv" - Meeting with Prof. Philippe Sands
International Cultural Centre Kraków